Saturday, April 17, 2010

Colden's Brit Milah

Colden's brit milah (bris) was held at our house on Friday, April 9th - when he was 8 days old (counting the day he was born as "Day #1").  It was truly a special day for us and it was wonderful to be able to share it with our family and friends.

 An hour before the bris, I gave Colden a dose of baby Tylenol.  Although honestly, I think I needed the drugs more than he did to make it through the day!

During the ceremony, the mohel gave Colden a cotton swab dipped in Manischewitz wine.  Boy did he LOVE it!  Even after he sucked the cotton swab dry, Colden was reluctant to let the mohel take it out of his mouth to re-dip it.  Once again, I think I needed the alcohol more than Colden did!

As you can tell by the red, swollen eyes...we both had a hard time making it through the ceremony.  The mohel did a wonderful job trying to distract us by telling jokes and stories and by giving us passages to read.  It worked on the guests, not the parents.  Although I have to admit, while I cried before the ceremony and during the ceremony...Colden only cried for about 30 seconds.  Then he was fine.  I've often heard that a bris is harder on the parents than it is on the child.  It's true.

During the ceremony, Colden received his hebrew name:  Pinchas Gavriel (Pinchas was my grandfather Paul's hebrew name).  Pinchas is written in hebrew on the kippah that Colden is wearing.

The brit milah is complete.

Mazel tov, Colden!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you all survived! He is the most adorable boy ever! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you two with red eyes is so sad! :( Mazel tov Colden!

    ReplyDelete